Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Learning


So you have to learn to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run...but no one talks about how many bumps and bruises and tears are shed as you fall before you walk, and while you walk and while you run. In this picture, I was able to hike in the sacred grove and the connection to nature and walking there was one of the most amazingly spiritual experiences I have ever had. Tonight, Nova wanted me to share my testimony of walking, however, I was unable to attend FHE, so here it is!

Almost two years ago, I enrolled in an environmental education class. It involved walking over the summer for three hours a day twice a week, in hot and humid forest preserves. After that, i went back to college, then an internship at a nature center where I hiked two-three miles a day and emptied fish tanks and cleaned, then I walked 5-7 miles a day at the zoo over the summer, then as a nanny I would walk with the kids for up to two hours a day, and currently I walk 1-2 hours a day around my block. I have lost 40 lbs in the last two years. I have reversed my insulin resistance, retrained my metabolism, and have found peace and joy in walking outdoors. I love being able to do things with much more ease than before and the more I do, the easier it is! I am able to fully enjoy the body I have been given. I am more flexible and it makes my day easier. I will be able to keep up with my job, dogs, and eventually kids and family! I want to be the best person I can be and I now feel that I can achieve that goal. I testify that walking outdoors and small daily exercise can help bring you closer to your heavenly father if you allow it to be a spiritually building experience. He will help you as you define a definite goal. As you enjoy the earth and body God has gifted us, you will come to find great joy in small exercise and it becomes a lifestyle, not a task.

I am taking a kayaking class to get some things down before I move this summer. I am using it as a spiritually and temporally building experience. Its teaching me so much physically, but it's giving me a spiritual base because I am following the Lord's plan for me. It's physically tiring, but also emotionally tiring. I am having trouble believing in myself. But as I keep going, I know that I will do well. We learned paddle strokes tonight and I never did well enough for me. I am beginning a strength and endurance regiment tomorrow. I am rather excited, but a little nervous. So much change in my life...positive change, but its still nerve wrecking! Plus, the fact that I was able to meet someone who worked at the camp really gave me a positive attitude about it. It is fast approaching and I am super excited! I hear its beautiful. All I know is, I'm going to come back in better shape than I have ever been in before! The best part about this is that I am following the Holy Ghost and I know because of that, I will be fine. He will not lead me astray!

The Last picture is me on top of the hill Kamora. I was able to hike up the historic path up the hill and trapse throught the same path that Joseph may have taken long ago. I am so privaledged to have been capable of making the trek.

CHANGING TOPICS: Today I heard on the news about a boy in Virginia...I think...That gave up speaking for Lent. I thought about the discipline that he had. He is only 13 years old. For 40 days, he has not and will not speak. Easter Sunday, his first words will be "thankyou God! I can speak!" He is only 13 and the faith, dedication, and love of God, is absolutely awe inspiring. One day, I hope that I can have that much dedication to my faith. There are so many wonderful people in this world! I hope I get to meet and hear of more of them.

Final thought for the day, there was a new member who came into my church. He was very friendly but I only spoke to him several times and very light conversation. One day, he told me that I made him so happy and he just loved me. And I asked him why. and he said it was because i was such a happy person all the time and that if he was in a bad mood he just thinks, what am i doing? Lisa wouldn't be happy. However, I am not happy all the time. But this helped me realize that you never know who is watching and so it is so important to be your best self and the best example as you possibly can be.

1 comment: